Friday, January 8, 2010

How do I make pictures in Photoshop smaller without losing the sharpness of the original?

I have a couple large 300dpi stock photos that i'm using for a publication I'm designing for work. When I shrink them down (with constrained proportions of course), the pictures have really blocky edges when it comes out for printing. Also, the text is blocky as well.





The publication has a res of 300dpi. I'm using Photoshop CS3.





How do I get the text and pictures sharp for printing?How do I make pictures in Photoshop smaller without losing the sharpness of the original?
Do a ';Save As'; and work with the copy and keep the original. That way if you mess it up you can start again.How do I make pictures in Photoshop smaller without losing the sharpness of the original?
just zoom into the picture, and then crop it.
I've been doing graphic / digital design for three years and just finished a set of T shirts for a band... obviously, they were done in 300dpi. What I do to get a good looking preview of the image at a smaller size is zoom out to something like 16.5% or so (any % where the image is smooth and small enough to your liking is fine). Then I take a screen shot, create a new document, paste my screenshot and proceed to crop the image. Comes out smooth, sharp %26amp; delicious!
Are these photos downloaded from a website or the like? Because those photos are never 300dpi to begin with, more like 72.





Instead of using constrained resizing, in an individual document, using a photo only, resample the image (Image %26gt; Image Size %26gt; Document Size %26gt; check Resample image). Then change the dimensions.





This will change the size while maintaining the resolution.
not enough information.





Are you printing the image through Photoshop, or another layout program like InDesign, Quark, or (gulp) Word.





Check that you are printing to a PostScript supported printer.





If you are trying to lay graphics and type in Photoshop, on top of the stock photo, then look into using Vector Masks (under the Layer pull-down menu) to maintain crisp edges for vector items like type, while in a bitmap environment.





Good luck!
  • print cartridge
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment